Wednesday, June 13, 2007

King Tut Greets Me In Mamaroneck, New York

King Tut

I visited Mamaroneck Avenue School in Mamaroneck New York last week to give a slide presentation about my book to all 500 students. I was in for a surprise when the ultra-cool librarian, Madeline Gilbert, picked me up at the train station with her pet cockatoo, King Tut, on her shoulder. The bird stays at the library with her every day and at the end of the school year Madeline brings in her pet turtle. Her office, with fellow cool librarian Carol Santini, is a dark planetarium and the library was warm and welcoming. The children presented me with 500 beautiful drawings of houses and animals. I have chosen a few of them to display here. It was hard to choose. I love all of the drawings. - Cynthia von Buhler



"Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for making our entire school so happy today. I'm sure by the time you visit us again, the copies of The Cat Who Wouldn't Come Inside will be well worn with the many requests to take them out of the library.

Your presentation was so natural and appealing. All of us are still
talking about it.

Thank you,

Madeline Gilbert
Library Teacher"
Madeline and King Tut

King Tut

"A Shelter For The Cat" drawing by Emmeline Chuy

"House by Moonlight" drawing by Natalia

"Sandwich House" drawing by Hyojin Kang

"Heart House" drawing by unsigned (Contact me if you made this drawing so I can add your name here.)

"Guitar House" drawing by Jason Abel

"The Place of the Cats" drawing by Kyra Greenawalt

"The Flying House" drawing by Noah

"Large Purple Bird with Cat and Dog" drawing by unsigned (Contact me if you made this drawing so I can add your name here.)

"Cat with Hat and Boots" drawing by Rie Ogasawara

"Castle, China House and Heart House" drawing by Jessica Barrios

"Tweet Tweet, Meow and Neigh" drawing by Ciara Cattano

"Air Bubble House" drawing by Hayley